Friday, February 08, 2008

Week review...

What's new?  Let's see- what happened this week...

The photo is from last Saturday evening.  A group of us all went to the opening at Rivet.  There was quite a lot of people there- it's probably helpful when almost all of the artists in the show are local.  Some photos are here and here.  I can be see in the middle of the room in a couple photos- just look for the white hair.  The paintings are available for sale here.  We then all went to Tip Top downtown for a bite to eat and drink and then to Cafe Bourbon St to see a show.  It was the Birthday Suits and some other bands.  Eh- I enjoyed the show as much as I really ever enjoy any of those shows there- it is more just background noise to me.  Meghan ordered the dress from me- it is the Harlequin Shift Dress and I finished it about ten minutes before it was time to leave- so I had to have a photo of it worn out around town.  I was in a striped dress and between the two of us we looked very op art.

Wednesday Josh and I went to a gathering at a friends house for an "ugly sweater" party.  I ran to the local thrift store before to find the ugliest sweater I could find.  It was really big and slouchy- should've worn some stirrup pants with it- and it also had shoulder pads. What made it really ugly was the pattern and colors- crazy oranges, pinks, purples, etc.  It hurt your eyes to look at it.  Unfortunately I didn't win any prizes for it.  Josh did with his Oilers sweater- a light blue sweater that said oilers and had a couple red stripes.  It was actually a very nice color on him.  He won the "It is so ugly it is cool" category and won a mix cd with all sweater themed songs.  It was a good time!

Tonite we are going to a rockabilly show at Ravari Room... I am always skeptical of any 'billy shows that actually play here in Columbus- it is usually not that great, especially if it is fairly local.  But I try to come out and support whatever is going on if it is related even if it will probably suck- because how else can you start a scene.  It takes people coming to shows to encourage more shows to be booked with hopefully better bands- that in turn brings more people out- that then inspires people to start their own bands here- they play and get a following if they are good- this inspires more bands here, etc.  We'll see.  

3 comments:

Josh said...

As manager of Johnny Rocker & his Rockin' Rock Cats, I am highly offended that you noticed how bad we suck. We will never again leave the security of California.

Josh said...

whoops. that band actually exists. but they're from Hungary.

Anonymous said...

Was that show at the Ravari Room any good? We wanted to go, but had other plans.