Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Fabric store


I normally purchase most of my fabrics in bulk from online sources. But occasionally while waiting for a shipment I need to run out to the local fabric store and pick up some twill or sateen solids (two of my favorite basic fabrics) to hold me over. During training to work at the apparel cutting counter, they must instruct to always ask- "So what are you going to be making?" everytime- because they always do. Sometimes I've even had that question also asked at the register as well.

When I first started getting asked, I was slightly annoyed as I was always in a hurry and it usually seems that they can't talk or even listen and cut fabric at the same time. But then I started to have fun with it over the years- and come up with kind of outlandish projects that usually don't seem very fitting with the fabric I was buying- just to see their reaction. I was just never in the self-promotion mood to explain that I have a clothing line, etc, etc.

Since I find I am usually buying whole bolts of black or white twill- I would say that I was making a futon cover, a dog bed, something of the like. I think once though while buying it- I said I was making a prom dress for my neighbor- and that I was estimating it would take all 20 yards of twill I was buying. Another time I was buying tulle netting for an underskirt on a dress and I said I needed it all to make into a new dress to wear for my shift dancing that night at Centerfolds. For that one I couldn't keep a straight face and I think she knew I was probably kidding.

I stopped in today to pick up something and was trying to come up with something funny to say. Instead, she said, "Your the girl that does Lucky Kat, right?" I said, "yup, sure am...". She never did ask me what I was making- I guess if she knew Lucky Kat, then she knew what I was probably doing with the fabric. It is always cool to be recognized... but I guess now it'll just be weird if I start making up stuff again....

2 comments:

pomly said...

That's so funny. I've made up stories about what I am making at the cutting table too! But usually what I am actually making is funny enough to talk about... like a giant hamster costume! haha.

Anonymous said...

I was gonna say, I could never get away with that because most of the Apparel counter ladies at both the Sawmill & Polaris JoAnn's know me. :P