Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Guitar Hero

I have played a few musical instruments in my day.  Starting off with violin in 3rd grade, add to that piano lessons in maybe about 4th grade.  For a while there I was taking both violin and piano lessons every week at the age of 8 years old.  That got to be a bit much so I dropped violin and continued piano lessons every week for about five years.  I got to be pretty good- could just sit down and play.  Played in some recitals, etc.  But I still fought it every step of the way- especially those early years- I would throw huge tantrums about practicing and going to lessons.  My mom developed some sort of reward system that every time I practiced I would put a sticker on this poster board thing and then get rewarded when I got so many.  I was also taught French in school in 3rd grade and going to dance lessons for jazz, tap, ballet, and acrobats.  Sometimes I feel like I started out life pretty damn smart- and just got dumber along the way.  I also know now why I am an overscheduled workaholic today!

In middle school is when I really got into music- grunge stuff- or "alternative" I guess- mostly.  Then I discovered punk at the beginning of high school and really wanted to play guitar.  So I bought one (a red ibanez- what?) and a little amp and started taking lessons by this old stoner dude at the local music store.  I understood it- and the theory of it because of my musical background- but just didn't pick up the technique of it easily enough at first and just kinda quit after a bit.  Without my moms stickers to get me to practice- I just didn't.  I wanted to be able to play guitar without having to work at it.  On a side note- I have been tempted to buy a violin (again) and an upright bass over the past couple years- but am afraid it will turn out like the guitar situation- I just won't be good right away and not stick with it.

Fast forward to last night- Josh's place- Dave's Guitar Hero 3.  I love it!  I am pretty good at it although I haven't played it quite enough to start on different levels of hardness.... but I could see becoming addicted to it.  Yes, it is not really playing guitar- but I do think that my days of working my fingers on various instruments in the past has led me to be a good player on this game.  We played for hours and the time just slipped by.  Chinese food, miller lite, hawaiian ice cream, and guitar hero- what a lovely evening! 

Oh- and the photo up there is the Guitar Heronoid- an android that plays the game....  
  

1 comment:

Josh said...

Dude, you shredded Raining Blood by Slayer. That should speak volumes, guitar heroine.